Help (Frequently Asked Questions)
How do I bid?
For those that have the Midland Rotary Auction booklet from the Mirror and would prefer not to use the website, telephone bidding is available on February 28th between 6:30pm and 9pm. Just call 705-527-1121 and we'll post the bid for you. Keep in mind that this is less effective than being on the website.
Otherwise, visit the online site at www.midlandrotaryauction.com starting February 14th, 2019.
Register yourself as a bidder by clicking the REGISTER link at the top of the site. Fill out your information and submit. You'll receive an email with a link to confirm your registration.
If you're not already logged in, click the LOGIN link at the top of the site to log in. Then click on Categories of interest from the main menu and browse through items. The site will let you see your bid and your rivals' bids and will allow you to continue bidding as long as there is a rival bid that you want to beat. It is simple and fun.
Bidding closes in half hour blocks between 7pm and 9pm on February 28th, 2019. When you win the bidding, the site will email you and explain how to retrieve and pay for your item.
Why should I bid?
- This is where the action is going to be! You need to review all the items that you are interested in and then begin to bid strategically. If you start too low, you have just wasted energy and your opponents will not think you serious. We have told you what the retail value is.
- Dependent on the demand for a given item, you may get a really great deal!
- Remember, when you are bidding, it is not just for an item, but you are benefiting projects and initiatives in our community.
- Businesses and community members have donated all of these items in an effort to raise funds for our community. Please return the favour by bidding on their items and supporting their establishments.
How much do I bid?
- You can bid any dollar amount provided it is higher than or equal to the current Minimum Bid shown. Bidding higher than the Minimum Bid will save time and express your desire for the item.
- There is NO HST added to the amount you bid.
THE AMOUNT YOU BID IS THE AMOUNT YOU PAY!
- Don’t be afraid to bid more than the Value shown. Even if you bid $5 or $10 more than the fair market value of the item, you know that your payment will be going towards the charitable work of the Midland Rotary Club. Look at it as an unofficial donation.
When do I bid?
- The Auction web site opens on February 14th. You can start bidding on that day online.
- The closing night for all items is Thursday, February 28th, 2019.
- Items are assigned to blocks that will close every half hour from 7pm till 9pm on February 28th with the following schedule:
- 7:00pm: Block 1 items close
- 7:30pm: Block 2 items close
- 8:00pm: Block 3 items close
- 8:30pm: Block 4 items close
- 9:00pm: Block 5 items close
Get involved by bidding early!
- Within the last 5 minutes before a block closes, any bids on a given item in that block will extend the clock 5 minutes for that item.
- Each bid thereafter on that item will extend the clock by 5 minutes until no more bids are made within 5 minutes of the last bid. This allows for exciting bidding wars just like in live auctions!
Manually Refresh Your Browser
- Please keep in mind, if you are watching a particular item when a block is closing, the Time Left will automatically count down, but it will not tell you if a new bid comes in.
- You need to manually refresh the page in your browser to see if a new bid has come in. You should also receive an email when you are outbid, but timely email can be unreliable.
- We recommend manually refreshing an item's page once per minute if you are concerned that you will be outbid in the final minutes of a block closing or while you are engaged in a Bid War.
What to do when you win the bid?
- Within five minutes following the close of bidding for a block of items, successful bidders will be notified by email.
- Successful bidders will be able to pick up their merchandise at the “Rotary Auction Pickup Point” at Tripp's Paint & Decorating Shoppe, 259 King St in Midland.
The “Rotary Auction Pickup Point” will be open for pickups at the following times:
- Friday March 1st 9am to 5pm
- Saturday March 2nd 9am to 1pm
- Monday March 4th 9am to 5pm
- Any successful bidders who have not picked up their item by 5pm on Monday, March 4th may lose their opportunity to receive their item. At the “Pickup Point” you will receive your item or a voucher to present to the merchant or citizen who has donated the item on which you were the successful bidder.
- If payment was completed online using a credit card or PayPal account, you must bring a printed receipt as proof of purchase. Otherwise payment by credit card or cash will be accepted at time of pickup.
Can rotarians bid?
- Yes, Rotarians and their spouses can participate.
- Rotarians may submit bids online at any time. All online bidders have equal access at www.midlandrotaryauction.com.
How do I get involved?
- The Rotary Auction is a community service of the Rotary Club of Midland. You get involved by bidding on the items offered.
- Help us advertise the items in the Auction by visiting our Facebook page and sharing posts about items. For even more impact, you can pay to Boost your shared posts for better exposure in our community.
- In future years, you may wish to become involved by donating merchandise to the auction. Contact any Rotarian.